Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Being Denied Your Dream Home


Have you spent years dreaming up your perfect home? Do you have every room and piece of decor memorized? Have you fantasized about strolling through your perfectly serene neighborhood? Have you ever considered the possibility that you could be told "no"? No to your perfect home, with its perfect rooms, nestled in its perfect neighborhood?

It could happen. 

The truth is most of us don't consider the word "no" when mentally designing our dream home, but a lot of the time that home is just that, a dream. 

So often I find myself with a new home buyer excitedly telling me about the house they'd like me to find, right down to the tiniest detail in the greatest neighborhood and, of course, within their budget. And way too often I have to see the sadness spread across their faces when I tell them "no". 

No, there is no house like that in this neighborhood. 

No, there is no house like that within your budget.

No, there's no house like that within this school district.

No, no, no.

It isn't uncommon for these sweet people to turn on me, tell me I don't know how to do my job, if I was better I could find this house. Believe me when I say if I could deliver everyone's dream home to them I would! But the truth is sometimes their dream home simply does not exist. 

The point of this post is not to discourage you or your dreams, but instead to prepare you for the inevitable, dreaded "NO". I've mentioned in previous posts that finding absolutely everything you want in one home is very rare and compromises will need to be made. The best way to deal with "no" is to have these compromises, or alternate options, decided before you begin your search.

Ask yourself some basic questions. What do you need or want in your dream home? What if those needs and wants aren't an option, do you have an alternate option?

Keep an open mind. Don't turn away from possible homes you don't think will fit your wants, you never know what you might be passing up. Go check it out, if you don't like it, don't buy it!

Trust in your agent, they aren't purposely denying you your dream home. Ask if they can show you how an MLS search works, then you can see for yourself exactly what's available. 

And most importantly, have fun and stay positive!

I hope this has helped prepare you for the big NO. Do you have any questions or advice of your own? Please leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Happy house hunting!


No comments:

Post a Comment