Sunday, March 20, 2016

RETRO RECIPES: BUTTERSCOTCH ROLLS



My husband likes to sleep in on the weekends but I always find myself waking fairly early, so I like to bake him something fun for breakfast before he wakes up. One of the treats I love baking on Saturday mornings are cinnamon rolls, but since they're generally made with a yeast bread that needs to rise they take upwards of 3 hours to make. I may be a morning person but I don't enjoy getting up before the sun just to make breakfast, so needless to say I don't make them very often. 

But this Saturday I was having a serious cinnamon hankering and thought maybe I could find a quick bread recipe, but as I was flipping through the cook book I found a recipe that looked even better, butterscotch rolls! Bring it on!

Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour                                                                                  3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt                                                                                                       6 Tbs shortening
3/4 cup milk                                                                                                  1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs + 12 tsp butter or margarine                                                                   2 tsp cinnamon
12 tsp brown sugar                                                                                         1/2 cup pecan halves

Preheat your oven to 425°F. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening (I mush it around with my hands until it's well incorporated). 


Add the milk and mix until you can form the dough into a ball. Place on a well floured surface and roll out into a 7x16 inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. 


Spread the rectangle with 2 Tbs of soft butter. In a small bowl mix the 1/4 of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle on top. Use a butter knife or offset spatula to spread it evenly over the dough. 


Beginning at the wide side, tightly roll the dough up and pinch closed along the open edge. Trim about 1/2 an inch off each end of the roll and discard. Cut the roll into 12 equal pieces by making gentle sawing motions with a sharp knife. Try not to push down too much with your knife, you will squish your rolls. 


Prepare a muffin pan by spraying with a non-stick cooking spray or greasing just the sides of each muffin cup. Fill each muffin cup with 1 tsp melted butter, 1 tsp of brown sugar, and 3 pecan halves. At this point I started dreading the process of getting these rolls OUT of the pan, I also ran out of butter so my cups only had 1/4 tsp of butter each :(


Place a roll into each muffin cup and bake for 15 minutes. 



Om nom nom!

Getting them out wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but most of my pecans stayed in the pan and I had to pick them out by hand and place them on the rolls. This may have been because I didn't use the correct amount of butter. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has this problem, let me know in the comments!









No comments:

Post a Comment