Monday, January 18, 2016

Shopping Local in Tacoma WA

Shopping Local in Tacoma, WA


I've always been a big advocate of shopping local, so I thought "Why not spotlight some of my favorite local shops for others to explore?" Well that's just what I'm going to do!

Why shop local?

There are many reasons to support local business. The top reasons that come to mind with most people are keeping money local, supporting their community, and getting a deeper understanding of where their products are coming from, especially if we're talking about food. My favorite reason for shopping local is the personal connections I make with local shop owners and farmers. I love learning about their businesses and why they do what they do, which is not an experience one normally gets at a big box store. We all need to make purchases, but knowing my purchases are making a difference in my community means a lot to me, so I encourage everyone to shop local as often as they can!


One of my favorite shops is the Pacific Northwest Shop in the Proctor district of Tacoma, WA. This family owned store was opened nearly 30 years ago and is dedicated to selling products made in the Pacific Northwest, which includes Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and British Columbia. 

Why do I like this shop so much? The owners and their staff are always so friendly, they have an amazing knowledge of their products, and they have SO MUCH CHOCOLATE. Seriously, the huckleberry filled dark chocolates are to die for. 

They have an annual sale during the last week of January, so I recommend you try and make it down there. If you can't make their sale, try to stop in next month for some unique Valentine's day gifts! Aside from the obvious chocolate gift choice, they also feature Mt. St. Helens volcanic ash hand blown glass hearts. They're all one-of-a-kind and look so pretty hanging in front of windows.


If you have a favorite local shop you'd like me to spotlight please mention it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment